Saturday, February 25, 2012

Building Bee Boxes

I built two bee boxes today with my Dad and Sis. We're putting the two new hives at our farm. The new boxes still have to be painted white. White is a very pretty color to bees.
The live bees & queen bee are scheduled for delivery in April. I'm still not sure where to put these boxes. They need to be visible but kind of tucked out of the way and on an East facing slope of one of our hills. The early morning sun warms & wakes them up early to start their pollinating.

That pretty much means they'll be in the East valley where the pole barn, apple trees and my garden are located. Ideally it be nice if I could drive the truck & tractor near them as supers get heavy when they're full of honey. And a clear path to run if the bees are crabby is important too.

I remember going with my Dad once and the bees were cranky. They crawled up his pant legs and chased us back to the house. If I'd have had to trip over brush, down a hill, to get to the barn instead of the newly mown hayfield it'd have been a disaster!

Why am I doing this? Honey! It's amazing stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to hearing about you hive journey. We are planning on starting one next summer. This year we have some planting to do to keep the bees closer to home.

    My 9 yr old daughter loves insects and has been wanting a have for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NUPLAS is one of the best Manufacturing Company Specializing in Plastic Bee Hive Landing Boards For more information please visit Bee Boxes

    ReplyDelete